Wednesday, August 31, 2011

One of those bad days they tell you about

Today started as it normally would well my "now" normal life. I got up around 9am to be ready for the visiting nurse. So we decided after that was done we'd go for a drive maybe visit my mom or my husband's grandmother and wait to see Madison because my moms close friend, well kind of a family friend wanted to see her around 5pm. So we visited his grandmother she took us to breakfast and we visited with her a bit. We came home I pumped then we went out again grabbed some bedding for our ferret. We went back home and I pumped again (not getting much milk in so im trying to help it along). Then it was about the time to go see Madison. So we got there and my parents were there seeing her so they came out and the lady at the front desk was like let me check with her nurse. She came back and was like go wash up and I will page the doctor because I believe she wanted to talk with you. So immediately we were like well that's not good. So we go in and the nurse informs us that her morning wasn't great at all. There was suspicion of infection like you may know. So they sent out a blood culture which came back positive for yeast in her blood, so they removed her PICC line which really was needed and are trying to keep the two IVs they have in her hands going as long as they can, because like mommy Madison has no veins either. So that equals a scary big deal for a baby that small. So they started her on the meds needed to try and kill the bacterial infection and a fungal infection. So they will do a culture everyday to figure out if it is a bacterial or fungal infection and choose which direction to go in. They said it takes a while to kill an infection like this up to 4 weeks. The nurse says she's seen babies come out of this and die because of this but because Madison is her normal feisty self they don't see it really messing with her so they are hoping they caught it early enough to treat it. So she was up and down with her oxygen and respirator and for some reason they decided to try a different machine on her and apparently she likes it alot. Instead of her oxygen being at 80% to 100% it is at 35% which is great. Oh oh oh! And I saw my babies eyes! So precious I almost cried everytime she opened them. Now it wasn't full on eyeballs but she open her eyelids just a bit so I can see them sparkle :) and that was the highlight of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment