Wednesday, August 17, 2011

23 weeks too young.

* Excuse the spelling errors I was on my cellphone at the time.*
Before the whole umbilical cord ordeal earlier that morning I was given steroid shots to try and mature the babies lungs. Fast forward to the umbilical cord thing all family has left and it was just my husband and I he was incharge of calling everyone. To needless to say at that point the baby had to come now, but like before...no contractions. They brought in an ultrasound to be at bedside to check baby's progress through the birth canal. Baby was still in by his chest like the previous day. Oddly enough I had no pain pushing or anything. So right away we began pushing one after another and he seems to be moving somewhat. The doctor has his hands putting pressure to where I should push as the baby was moving down. The only uncomfortable part was the pressure he applied while the baby's head was coming out and that was that. So we talked to NICU many times over the past couple days and come up with a place to resesitate and if he doesn't respond well we would take him off it and not put him through anymore. Because of the cord prolapse. He wasn't getting enough oxygen and his heartrate went down into the 60s after being born and worked on for a few minutes they managed to get it into the 90s not good enough for a baby who is supposed to be at 120 - 150bpm. He is the most precious thing let me tell you! Before taking him I got to see him and was told someone from the NICU team would be down to let us know when we could see him. Meanwhile the plan after we was born was to try and keep Madison with us so they tied up the cord high left the placenta in and we are hoping she will stay there for a few more weeks. After two cerclages he really doesn't think one will do much at this point being there is still risks for infection without it even. After birth my cervix closed up to 2.2cm and I will leave it at that. Back to Dexter. Someone from the team did come down and she said based on our wished she thinks now would be the time to stop all efforts. So we go to see him and touch and talk to him and we made the decision there. He was unresponsive. His heartrate was steady in the 80s and there was no oxygenation even with help. They said they did an x ray on his chest and it was pure white. He wasn't holding his blood pressure and it was so heartbreaking to see but he was so perfect. Tiny nose, the softest feet and the cutest mouth ever. He had my fingers :) so we got pictures taken of him and with him. Took him off the breathing tube and moved him into a private room that way everyone had a chance to see and meet him. A lady came into check his heartrate and it was immediately in the 60s just like when he was born so we knew it was only a matter of time. What made it easier on us was that he looked so peaceful, just as if he were sleeping and happy. About 1~5 to 20 minutes later she checked his heart again and he was gone. Born at 2:48PM August 16th 2011 and died the same day at 5:20PM. I believe he was here and is here to protect us and his little sister because he is the big brother now. We got to bring him down to our room with us and just be with him it was nice. They dressed him and allowed us to keep the clothes. They took a pictures of him with a stuffed puppy and we got to keep that as well. Something that was really sweet was they made a clay heart and put his and and feet impressions in it along with his foot prints on paper. I had no idea they would do all this for us. It being a terrible experience those things made it tolerable.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss, I lost one of my twins in the NICU when she was 16 days old, it is so very unfair. I am so glad you got to spend time with him and take photos, those things will be so important for you later on. I hope your early days of grief are as peaceful as they can be, keep baking that precious girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss, I have no other words than that.... I will keep praying for your little girl that she can stay inside just a bit longer. I'm so sorry...

    ReplyDelete