Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Madison still continuing to do well

So as you all know she was born. Today she would be 24 weeks 1 day...not sure if they still count it. At 7:12PM will be day 5 of Madison's life. Since being put in the NICU she has responded very well. She still is on a small amount of oxygen it fluctuates from day to day but is within 28% - 32% which is very good. In between that she does take her own breaths. She was weighed yesterday and was 1lb even so a loss of 3 ounces which isn't bad. Her skin is drying out because of the amount of fluid loss which is bound to happen, but thatthakes way for new skin to come. They did find a hole in her heart. A vessel in her heart that is supposed to close at birth but at her age it hasn't yet. She got her first round of medication last night for that to try and help it close. They would like it sooner rather than later like I would so they can ween her off everything sooner. She has had a couple head ultrasounds and they have come back good no major bleeding or anything. Madison does have to have blood given everyday because of the amount that is taken for multiple daily testing. Earlier in the week they found some blood back up in her tube which we were assuming was from irritation. Since then there hasn't been anything bright red like that so we are satisfied. Since day one I've been trying to pump for here giving her bits of colostrum and even up unit yesterday I did. Around 10PM ish last night something happened to one of my nipples and milk just started free flying yay! Also something very cool I called the medical part of my job to find out about my maternity leave and the free breast pump they sent. I got mine last night and its worth $299...I was surprised such a nice high tech double pump...for free.

3 comments:

  1. I've been following your story and am so SO happy to hear that Madison is doing so well. I will continue to pray for you and your family as your journey continues. Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear Madison is doing well, congratulations on your baby girl! I will continue to pray for her and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog through babycenter.com's forums. There was another mom who posted a pic of her eldest daughter who was born at 23 weeks...today her daughter is 12 years old. =) Here's her profile on babycenter....http://community.babycenter.com/profile/mrsschoffner

    ReplyDelete