Friday, September 28, 2012

NICU Follow-Up

Madison had her NICU follow up on Wednesday and it really wasn't what I would have expected. A doctor from the NICU was there, one whom I've seen quite a bit and I think have mentioned she took care of me as a preemie although she was on a different team most of the time Madison was in the NICU she knew everything that was going on with her.

She looked her over and said she looked/sounded good after checking her weight, height and head circumference. Apparently she is long and skinny. Then it was time for "play time." Let me paint a picture for you. Playtime was in the same place as you would bring your kid to see the pediatrician in. There is a examination table, a sink, trash bins oh and a desk and chair. The chair for me to sit in and hold Madison and a desk to put the toys on. How do you expect a child to feel comfortable and want to play while sitting uncomfortably on mommy's lap? You don't and I wouldn't expect her to.

I was asked questions about things she does/doesn't do and we were marked down on paper for that along with how she was responding to toys being put in front of her and things like that. After all was said and done my husband mentioned something to me along the lines of the lady saying "she's behind in somethings and I can't say really until we are done."

She starts off with saying some of her skills are below were she should be at and others are above where she should be. Like sitting, Madison cannot sit on her own she tries to but is unsuccessful how ever she gets on her knees, pulls herself up and pretty much crawls. I believe the major issue was the sitting part. She goes on to say I would like to see her again in a different atmosphere, a playgroup type of thing before she sends in the report. She asked me if that is the way she acted or if she does a lot more in a more relaxed atmosphere to which I said of course she does more. I REALLY wanted to add in the part about how do you expect a child to play in a non-child-friendly play area? I really wanted to decline the invitation because we have Early Intervention (EI) coming every other week and it seems ridiculous BUT to prove them wrong I agreed to the meet up. I REALLY don't think I need to see her for a month or 4 weeks I hope is what she meant by month.

Neurologist was also mentioned...yeah I don't want to think about that right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment